Friday, March 20, 2009

Considerate Biscuits

Last weekend we had dinner with friends and there were biscuits that everyone was in a frenzy for. We gobbled them up and wanted more. The very idea of homemade biscuits had everyone clamoring for three and four (and five).

I wanted to make some of my own, but seriously, I could not manage enough time to roll out the dough and cut them. I had a vague memory of "drop biscuits" that don't have to be rolled, so I tried a recipe I found online. Bah. It left a bit to be desired, nothing like the succulent, tender biscuits I remember of my mother's.

I found a different recipe, and also called my mother for hers. She said in general, its just a rolled biscuit recipe with more milk. The problem with her recipe was that I wasn't keen on using shortening (it's the altering chemical structure thing - unappealing). So, I've replaced the shortening with butter and tried it two ways. Both are drop biscuits but there's a little time trade-off so you can customize to the time you have. The slightly slower method has a slightly better texture, but both are quite good. Now isn't that a considerate recipe?

Considerate Biscuits
2 c flour
1 T baking powder
2 t sugar
1/2 t salt
1/2 c butter
1 c milk

1. Mix all the dry ingredients.
2. Quicker Method: Melt the butter, add the butter to the milk and combine with dry ingredients.
Better Texture Method: Cut in chilled butter. Add the milk.
3. Drop onto greased pan (I pat it a bit with buttery hands to make it biscuit shaped). They don't change shape much so what you see is what you'll get.
4. Bake at 450 for 10-12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment