Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Kitchen Plans

Remember my old dishwasher? Well here's the shiny new one.
The replacement has touched off a whole kitchen plan. Because if you are going to buy a new appliance, and you don't like the color of your current appliances... well, you get the idea. It's a slippery slope. And now I've got a multi-phase kitchen plan in the making.
But, now that I think of it, that plan started quite a long time ago. I love our house, and it's very nice, but I've been on a long, slow spruce-up of the kitchen area. When we moved in, there was ivy-patterned wallpaper border at chair rail height and at the very top of the wall. That's two ivy-patterned wallpaper borders in one 12x18' kitchen - yikes. You can see part of it in the background where I'm feeding Zack, below. There were also ivy-patterned bubble valences (do you know what I mean - the poufy fabric valences that people puff up with wadded up paper?) on the breakfast area windows and a lot of plastic ivy on the tops of the cabinets. The bubble valences and the plastic ivy were gone before the ink was dry on the closing papers. The wallpaper took a little longer - you can see that Zack was 20 months old (which would make it 21 months after we moved in) when my mom and I took down the borders and painted the kitchen. It's now Daybreak - a light yellow with green undertones that I love with my Silken Web family room paint (love that Silken Web too, but that's a story for another day).
Now that we needed to replace the dishwasher, we had to decide on a path for the appliances - they are all fifteen year old builder-grade models and they are all black. I know people like black appliances; I just don't. I actually like white appliances (quit shuddering, appliance connoisseurs!); I know other people don't like them, I just do. But, the more I looked at kitchen pictures (which was started by Cameron's post here), the more plastic-y the white began to look. I finally decided I was willing to go for the stainless. Hence, the shiny shiny new dishwasher. It's really pretty. And it works really well. And it's so big I run out of dishes before it's full.
And I'm making grand plans for the future. Some of those plans are for the somewhat distant future, but some are happening right away. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment