Friday, April 10, 2009

Cannot...accomplish...sewing...

I've really been wishing I could make some time to do a little sewing. I'm not an accomplished sew-er (seamstress? that sounds like alterations). I only know how to sew straight lines, not follow patterns to make clothing or anything like that. But, I'd like to learn. And I have some cute vintage fabric, flour sack pieces that were my husband's grandmother's, that I'd like to use for something. I put one little scrap of each in a miniature quilt for James' family reunion (though it's not quite finished, *sigh*)and used some in these activity pads. But, some of the fabrics are only in fair condition so I don't really plan to use them in highly involved quilting projects (for the future "someday" when I'm doing highly involved quilting projects).

I finally got my hands on a copy of Bend The Rules Sewing by Amy Karol and have been so excited to try something (just look at all the stuff people made!). It's about at my level. Challenging for me, but probably doable. I say probably because in the three times I've "set aside" for starting in the past few days, I got about ten minutes in before screaming children took over that time. Oh, screaming children and a towering mountain of laundry, when I have a ten day trip to pack for. I finally gave in, in a great grouchy grumble, and folded all (well, most) the laundry instead of sewing. Reminds me of Forever Folding Laundry (who has a yummy looking recipe today, by the way). On the bright side, I made one of those screaming kiddos help me!

In the total of twenty minutes that I did sew, I got to make two of these "Mixy-Matchy Napkins" (see the ones other people have made here). The project is just cutting out a piece of fabric and hemming it on all sides. They are cute, but I'm wondering if I'd rather make them bigger. The project says they are a lunch size, so I knew they would be different than my other napkins, but now I'm wondering if it's going to bug me that they are so different than my others. Although, it makes me want to make play-kitchen-set-napkins! I'll get to that in my next bit of free time, ha.

1 comment:

  1. I have been trying that 10 minute sewing thing for years. I don't get very far because I have to return the machine to the closet, fold up the table, and pack up all the supplies. Also the laundry, dishes, grocery shopping, and meals just keep calling.
    Last week I did get in two sessions on a Christmas (09) project and it felt so good. Hoping to get back to it next week--just 30 minutes a day, or so I tell myself.

    ReplyDelete