Monday, April 12, 2010

1981 and 2010


Deanna, 1981


Zack, 2010
Don't these two photos need to go together on a scrapbook layout? One of the things I have realized recently is that the kind of scrapbooking I want to do is the kind that makes connections and tells stories close to my heart.

So far, I've done baby books, gift albums, and mini albums about trips or holidays. I have been thinking about what is going to happen when I get the baby books done. Although I love to make pages with pictures from a holiday or birthday party, I am not excited about the idea of trying to put all the events we attend in scrapbooks. I would always feel behind and I'd end up writing about birthday parties and not the things I want to write about.

These two photos are more the kind of thing I want to write about. My bookworm-nature was a major aspect of my life as a child and I see some of the same tendencies in Zack. His personality is so different in a lot of ways (so boy!) but I wonder how he'll be the same.

Special thanks to my sister who has been scanning our family photographs!!

6 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I am overwhelmed by all the pictures and documenting. It feels way too big to keep up with. I have done a decent job with the kids' babybooks (teddy's isn't finished yet). But the idea of maintaining that level of detail for all three for the rest of their childhoods makes me want to just hang up my paper cutter for good. I love the idea of only scrapbooking these kinds of everyday moments that say so much more about the subject than a dozen pictures documenting a day at the zoo ever could. Did you see the thing in the last Real Simple about only scrapbooking one day a year? You keep receipts, take pictures and really go deep on that one day and it serves as sort of a time capsule of the whole year. I love that idea too. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! This makes all my scanning worthwhile!!! I'm so glad you posted this- that picture really cracked me up when I came across it! I think I'll go get started scanning 1983 now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Double yay! That's the book we gave Zack for Christmas!!! I really love that we got to get him a book he didn't already have. I love looking through books and buying books and giving books- I've decided that from now on, we're going to give books for all the little kid birthdays. It's what I love to give and it's so much easier than trying to find a toy they don't already own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Elizabeth! Yeah, I agree, not a maintain-able level of detail for me. And maybe this is weird but I feel like I wouldn't actually want to store the resulting pile of albums, even if I got them done.
    I did not see that in RealSimple but I'll check it out. I like the idea, thanks!
    I have a group of scrapbooking teachers/authors I read that are really good about this. They have good ideas for working on and writing what matters most to you and no implication that you should be doing more or doing everything. I may post about that when I get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie - you rock at scanning and book-gifting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is adorable Deanna! I think that's a great way to scrapbook. I may have to try that.

    ReplyDelete