Monday, February 28, 2011

Lots of Paper Flowers Happening Here


Now that I have learned to make these flowers, I find myself going to town with them!  The punch I mentioned cuts out four shapes at once - two broad (large and small) and two narrow (large and small).  They can each be used for petals or leaves and there is quite a combination of effects possible.  After making the blue one on my Cherish layout I was so enthused that I punched an entire page of white paper into petals and started creating. 

[Technical details]  Although I enjoyed the blue one, I wanted to make something with layers of color and pattern, so I used a burnt orange ink to stamp a background script text stamp on the broad petals, then a combination of red reinker and red perfect pearls in a spray bottle and a red stamp marker to color the petals.  I added gold perfect pearls, then a brocade background pattern in versamark and clear embossing powder to finish them off.  I like working with these petals with a little embossed area on them - they seem tougher and more able to hold their shape.
[Technical details over]

I was really thrilled with the result. I put it on a card that I could hand-deliver since I didn't think it would stand up to being mailed without a padded envelope and I just didn't want to bother with that.  Next I tried the narrow shape as petals to make more of a daisy shape.

Finally, I redid the pink/coral one with kraft paper and gold embossing.  The woodgrain was supposed to just be brown and only the script text be embossed gold but it turned out all gold and it's a pretty nice effect.

It's pretty funny but the centers of the flowers are all just a snowflake stamp I already had.  I had that baby put away with my Christmas things until making the Archivers flower and realizing the stamens for the center were a snowflake!  Cool use for a previously seasonal item!

1 comment: