Friday, May 07, 2010

Roasted Cauliflower

I'm always looking for more vegetable preparations that we all love. I kept remembered a party I'd gone to a few years ago at which I couldn't believe how tasty their roasted cauliflower was. As someone who has a terrible intolerance of broccoli, I'm wary of it's close relatives, but this was not skunky at all (which is how broccoli smells to me). I was truly incredulous that I was really eating cauliflower. I recently thought back to it and wanted to try it for my family. I don't think this matches the sweetness I remember from that party, but it was certainly good enough to become one of our standards.

There are a lot of recipes for this but they are pretty similar - toss the florets from a head of cauliflower with minced garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper and olive oil. Roast in a single layer at 400 for 25-30 minutes. Sprinkle generously with fresh Parmesan cheese and serve.

James said he was turned off by the dark color. Zack kept asking if each piece was burned. I was a little surprised at their reaction because I serve most vegetables with little caramelized edges, but it was new for cauliflower. They all enjoyed the taste, however, so hopefully it'll be more appetizing in appearance to them next time, when they are sure it will taste good!

No comments:

Post a Comment