Friday, May 15, 2009

Friday Favorite: Misto

I have another favorite cooking item to show you!

I love my little Misto oil-sprayer. You add your oil of choice, pump the cap to build up pressure, and get an aerosol-like fine mist for all your oil-spraying needs. It is easy to use, works very well, and contains no "grain alcohol, soy lecithin and propellant" that the purchased can of spray contains. (And if it matters to you, that common brand of spray is produced by ConAgra, who can't seem to make a pot pie without including Salmonella and thinks they'll just ship them that way and you can deal with the problem yourself.)

I spray pans to make them non-stick, of course, but I have two other uses for you:

First, I recently tried the trick Keri recommends: when I don't have the time (or calorie budget) for soft-frying my tortillas for enchiladas, I can spray both sides with the oil spray, stack them up and heat them in the microwave until they are soft enough to roll without cracking. It works very nicely!

My final tip for use of the oil sprayer (which works with the regular spray as well) is for air-popped popcorn. Using a sprayer is a great way to get a very thin, even coating of oil on all the popped kernels so that salt will stick to them! Just spray and salt as the popcorn tumbles out of the popper into your bowl. This makes a very tasty and not soggy or greasy popcorn. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I used to have one kinda like this, but I think it was Pampered Chef. It was always sooo messy! Is this one that messy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at all messy. It works just like you would want it to.

    ReplyDelete