Saturday, March 27, 2010

Hold off a little longer, green!


That's something I never expected to say! As much as I believe the desert is beautiful, I usually put green and growing at the top of my list of what is valuable in landscape. But that was before I lived somewhere with redbud trees. These are such jewels in the already lovely landscape of Austin. They burst into bloom in the earliest part of spring and last a beautifully long time. But my favorite thing about them is the seeming determination in the way the flowers emerge directly from the trunk.

It has been more than a week since the bradford pear tree, already covered in new leaves, lost its flowers in a sudden and highly localized snowfall of white petals. I want the redbud's green to wait as long as possible before it covers the fuchsia flowers.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is really pretty! How come I never visit Austin in the spring? Seems like it's always blazing hot and humid by the time I go...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's perfect weather now, but the green leaves are already overtaking the flowers on the redbuds.

    ReplyDelete