Thursday, November 20, 2008

Hmm. Not so much.


I'm sure it would be better to post a successful craft project. But, since I have an unsuccessful one, that's what I'm posting instead.

We saw this great project to use freezer paper to create a stencil for putting a design on fabric. I checked out her book (really like the book. tempted to buy it.) from the library for all the details and thought I was following them. And I really liked the idea Zack and I came up with for a design. We chose Mr. McGreggor chasing down Peter Rabbit (hee hee!!). Totally fitting for Zack and really cute, I thought.

This craft calls for choosing a silhouette design and drawing or tracing it onto freezer paper, then cutting out the design with a craft knife. You then iron freezer paper to the front (and the inside of the front) of a shirt and use it as a stencil with fabric paint. I did the drawing and cutting but Zack got to do the painting and we were so excited to pull off the paper and reveal the crisp clean design.

What we got was a large halo of paint around the design, nothing like we had intended. Or like these.

In retrospect, we did everything correctly. Everything, but the paint choice. Right brand, wrong line. Dang. I'm still thinking of whether to try to salvage, start over or just chuck it. Would've been cute, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment